Sunday, October 17, 2010

Savory oats.. well almost

I have been thinking about the idea of making oatmeal that is not sweetened. Oats are a grain and if you actually purchase them as they were intended (rolled not instant) then you can really see this versatile grain.

So the idea came up when I read about Mark Bittman's Savory Oatmeal with Scallions and Soy Sauce (http://tiny.cc/qjcwj) as soon as I finished the article my mind was racing with ideas on how to make oatmeal less breakfastly.


Today I decided to try one of my ideas, I had some Chili sauce and honey mixed together from the night before and I had recently purchased whole rolled oats from Vitamin Cottage so I plunged into the unknown.


(side note, I cannot stand mushy oatmeal, sticky oatmeal, old or cold oatmeal, etc. My oatmeal needs to be warm, and the grains have to be al dente.)


Here is what I did:

2 cups of water (I will reduce this for the next time possibly 1 1/2 cups)
2 pinches of kosher salt 
1 cup rolled oats
1 tbls chili-honey sauce

Bring the water and a pinch of salt to a rolling boil, add oats and turn off the flame. Stir a a couple of times until until oats have reached the desired consistency.

Serve oats with the salt, and chili sauce and a pat of butter, enjoy.


I would love to hear from anyone who is brave enough to try this.. it does not have to be breakfast, maybe it is a side dish or a quick lunch.

As I am working on my writing, I am attempting to make my food photos more enticing, drop me a note to let me know what you think.

in the meantime Eat!


Trace
www.cookingwithtrace.blogspot.com


No comments: