Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Under Pressure…




We all have been under pressure at one time or another especially during the holidays. Pressure can be a great thing… in particular when it is combined with heat. Diamonds anyone? Ok so hopefully your cooking shines like a diamond, but is not as hard.

I actually have wanted to write about pressure cookers since last spring…but I have hesitated because of the Boston Marathon bombing. Understandably there was concern about safety and there was a national emphasis being put on internet searches involving pressure cookers and I did not want my blog to gain that type of attention.

I received a pressure cooker from a friend and I am eternally grateful. These are amazing tools. I remember my grandma used hers often, but I did not have any inkling about what she was doing. She made the most amazing swiss steak, tomatoey, vinegary, unctuous, and comforting. I do not have her recipe, but I have been cooking everything else that I can think of in my new best friend.
Pressure cookers are unique and therefore they can cause some unrest. The science behind it is that when you pressurize a vessel it raises the boiling point of water. At sea level water boils at 212° F, under 15 psi water boils at 250° F. This allows the food to cook faster at higher temperature without drying out. The pressure builds in the sealed pot and it makes noise and lets off a little steam, and this can understandably cause some concern. Many years ago there were some problems with pressure cookers not being safe due to faulty gaskets or incorrect use, but now there are several varieties and as long as you follow directions you should have no problem.
Why should you use a pressure cooker? It is a quick and efficient way to cook food. Everything from mashed potatoes to pot roast can be cooked in a pressure cooker and the results are amazing.  Pot roast in the oven can take up to three hours or more… but pot roast in a pressure cooker happens in an hour and the taste is unmatched.

You can overcook food and therefore I recommend following the directions exactly (or you can turn California blend vegetables into an interesting puree). Trust me…

Check out this quick mashed potatoes recipe…
    2 lbs. Idaho Russet potatoes, quartered
    1 cup water
    1/3 cup half and half
    4 tablespoons butter (1/2 stick)
    Salt / pepper

Directions
Place peeled and quartered potatoes into the steamer basket or on metal trivet of your pressure cooker. Add water to your potatoes. Pressure cook on HIGH for 5-7 minutes, using the natural release method.
Drain potatoes, add 1/2 and 1/2 and butter, mash and stir vigorously. The potatoes should cream together rather quickly (if you need to you a hand mixer you can). I like to use bacon drippings and maybe some shredded cheese to make this side dish really pop.

Now go put on your Queen record and let’s put some food under pressure!!!

Trace






No comments: