Monday, May 03, 2010

Honey Pepper Pork with Vegetables... viva la revolution!

Honey Pepper Pork with Vegetables

My wife did it again.. She saw a picture and said "honey….. Please make this for me…." I am such a sucker. So I did some research and saw some different types of honey pepper sauces and then made my own.

I took the pork and marinated with lemon juice, pepper, paprika and garlic salt for about 2 hours. I then washed and sliced 3 zucchinis, 1 red pepper, 2 cups of fresh spinach, opened a can of water chestnuts , prepped a cup of julienned carrots, and chopped  1 small onion.




Next I sprayed my favorite measuring cup (1 oz measurer) with cooking spray and filled it with honey. Ground about 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper, pulled out my new cool salt cellar (a present from my favorite Ukrainian), and prepared a 1/2 teaspoon of cornstarch. My mise en place was ready and I was ready to cook.

Next I heated my large wok skillet with about a tablespoon of canola oil.  



In goes the pork for a quick sear and then added in the onions, carrots, water chestnuts,  and peppers. As soon as the onions are translucent add the zucchini.



Mix the honey, pepper, cornstarch, a pinch of salt and a splash of water.  Add the mixture to the veggies and pork, stir to combine and add the spinach. Take of the heat and serve with brown rice.


Recipe:

Honey Pepper Pork and Vegetables

1 lb cubed pork loin
3 zucchinis
1 red pepper
1 small onion
1 can water chestnuts
1 cup julienned carrots
2 cups fresh spinach
2 oz honey
1 oz water
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
Salt to taste

For the brown rice, I tried something new, in the freezer case at the local supermarket I found parboiled brown rice, easy to microwave and very tasty.

Not only is this meal fairly simple to make,  it is healthy and has no fake foods, or sauces in it.
There are no preservatives, not to much salt or sugar. Jamie Oliver would be proud!


No comments: