Sunday, March 20, 2011

White bean pb&j protein bars

Howdy Pardners! It's me again...  and as usual I am up to weirdness.  This time I thought I would try to make my own protein bars. I eat a lot of protein because of my diabetes. I am type II and I could be better at controlling my sugar but I do try to maintain a good diet with less sugar.

Sugar is a curious thing, of course every knows that there is sugar in candy, cakes, fruit, soda, etc.. but it surprised me to learn that all carbohydrates are a form of sugar, some digest quickly (simple sugars), some digest slowly (complex carbohydrates), and some do not digest at all (fiber). 

My opinion is that the more natural you can make your food, the better your body will process it. So I experiment with different ideas and do research to try and find different ways to make foods that I will like that I can be proud of.

I am very proud of these bars. The only questionable ingredient is the extract, and it is a small amount. Everything else is good for you on their own and even better when you combine them.

Feel free to experiment with this recipe and let me know how it works out... I also have some ideas for next time I make them.

White Bean Peanut Butter and Jelly Protein Bars

1 15 oz can white kidney beans
1 cup peanut butter
2 tsp raspberry extract
1 cup oat flour
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
3 cups rolled oats

Pulverize 1 cup oats set aside
Add 1 15oz  can white beans (drained) and 1 cup peanut butter to food processor blend until smooth.
Add extract, water, wheat germ, pulverized oats, 1 cup whole oats. Process until a dough is formed.

Knead remaining oats into the dough.

Form into 6x 8 rectangle wrap in plastic wrap and flatten to desired thickness.

Let rest several hours or overnight then cut into 16 2 oz bars. Wrap individually and store in refrigerator or freezer.




Ideas for next time:
Dried strawberries (chopped)
Chopped nuts
Coconut (unsweetened) shredded

Different extracts?
Roll into 1 oz balls and roll in chopped nuts or coconut
Dip in chocolate
Maybe bake them for a short time?



I hope you enjoy these delicious treats and now go cook something!

Trace

No comments: