Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Holy Squash!

Summer and the never ending squash

as seen in The Source (http://www.yvsource.com/) July 2012

I know that by the end of the summer most people are sick and tired of zucchini, but not me. I am ready
for the plethora of low calorie tasty dishes that can be made with the every bountiful squash. In the past
I have made mock apple pie, pickles, lasagna and spaghetti (with ribbons of squash instead of pasta),
ratatouille and more. I bake, boil, broil, fry, grill, marinate, julienne, and so much more.

I recently spent a week in Washington D.C. and it seemed that every restaurant had a grilled veggie
sandwich on the menu. Slices of yellow squash, zucchini, bell peppers, and red onion; marinated in
balsamic vinaigrette and served on a delicious whole grain bun with hummus. As a tried and true
carnivore I was hesitant to give it a try, but I am very glad I did. The Sammy was so filling, and the fresh
taste was not heavy at all.

My point is you have a great opportunity to start using the vast bounty from this versatile plant. So start
thinking and planning now!

Here is my latest squash addiction:

Grilled Marinated Zucchini and Peppers

Serves 4

4 small green or yellow squash sliced into planks (1/4 inch thick)

2 bell peppers (yellow, orange, or red are my favorites) cut into quarters with seeds removed

2 tablespoons of olive oil

½ teaspoon each of: granulated garlic, paprika, kosher salt, celery seed

¼ teaspoon each of: black pepper and cumin

Mix all spices together

Preheat grill (or grill pan, or broiler)

Add cut veggies to large bowl, drizzle oil to coat, and while tossing or stirring vegetables sprinkle spices
evenly. Let rest for 5 minutes.

Grill until your desired level of char. I like mine to be well marked.

Serve as a side dish or on a sandwich or just sneak pieces while the rest of the food is cooking.

Now go cook a squash!

No comments: