Friday, July 27, 2012

We are worth more...


“We have not, as a society, built a water system designed to deliver only clean water to the rich but dirty water to the poor. We have not typically told the poor that if they truly cared about the quality of their water, they should obviously drive farther and pay more money for it. And yet, that’s what we say about healthy food.” Tracie MacMillan, author of The American Way of Eating. (http://ruhlman.com/2012/07/american-way-of-eating-tracie-mcmillan/)

Wow, is that not an insightful sentence? I have never looked at it that way, have you? We have as a society said that we need clean, safe water to each and every person in our country. However when it comes to food, we allow companies and money to dictate how we nurture our bodies.  Even when the United States Department of Agriculture attempts to offer a small step toward a healthier diet, politicians, cattle associations, and others throw a hissy fit (http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/07/26/2223532/industry-beef-with-usdas-meatless.html). 

I like money; I would like more money… I am not opposed to creating wealth (and I am sure that this blog it my ticket to fame and fortune)… but not at the expense of others. Not knowing that I am hindering someone from obtaining real, pertinent, and accurate information about the sustenance needed for themselves and their children.

My point is we fight for causes every day, we protect endangered animals, we fight for people’s rights to protest/occupy, we pull together for tragedies… but do we fight for information to protect our children’s health, or our health for that matter.

If you don’t want to pull out your protest signs, or start firing off emails to shut down Monsanto… do this one thing, fight with your grocery list. 
Start small, add more variety, and soon it becomes second nature.   You can do this... you should do this... 

Now if you will excuse me I have to return  this soapbox I seem to be standing on...  

Go cook something real…

Broiled Zucchini

Slice a zucchini into planks or rounds, brush with a little butter and sprinkle with your choice of spices

Broil for a few minutes for a little color, add some grated cheese and broil again until cheese is melted (I like mine dark brown and crispy). 
   

Enjoy!


No comments: