Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Fried Green Tomatoes, for Esther!


Fried Green Tomatoes! 



I am not sure that these would be the same as the ones served at the Whistle Stop Café, but I thought they were pretty tasty.  Esther, this one is for you!
Being born and partially raised in Northern Alabama, I thought it surprising that I had never had fried green tomatoes, so after last summer’s late harvest, I thought what the heck. I know how to fry something (I did mention I am from Alabama, it is a prerequisite to leave the maternity ward), and I had all the tools on hand.

Fried Green Tomatoes with Dilled Sour cream
Green tomatoes (2-3 inches around very firm)
Flour
Salt
Pepper
Cayenne
Egg
Panko bread crumbs (in the supermarket bread crumb aisle)
Oil
Slice the tomatoes about 1/3 to ½ inch thick.
Mix enough flour for dredging with salt, pepper, and cayenne (this is your preference, I like it to bite back, so I may use more cayenne than you!)
In a separate bowl beat one egg for about every 2 tomatoes (depending on their size) with 1 tbls of water.
Dredge tomato in flour mixture, then coat in egg wash and then press into bread crumbs on both sides
Set aside to rest, when you have prepared all tomato slices, heat pan and then add about 1 tbls of oil.

Fry tomatoes on medium heat until GB&D (golden brown and delicious) serve with dilled sour cream, and maybe some hot sauce.

Dilled sour cream,
½ cup sour cream
1 tbls dry dill
Salt and pepper to taste
Make this in advance of cooking the tomatoes , so that the flavors have a chance to meld together.

No comments: