Sunday, January 16, 2011

I have found the apex of porkdom! Bacon Jam... apparently there a company in Texas that makes this delicacy, but I had never heard of it,  until I found "NotQuiteNigella" (www.notquitenigella.com). She made a comment about bacon jam and I was hooked. I looked at the recipe and thought I can do this.












It is time consuming, 2 hours, and the worst part is waiting and anticipating the results. So now for the results. I love it!

For lunch today I made meatloaf muffins, carrots, and mashed potatoes and on top of the decadent sourcream mashers I put a spoonful of the fine swine jam. It was so delicious. Both my wife and I thought that the jam would be great on baked potatoes, but on mashed potatoes it was amazing.

I sent a tweet to the wonderful NotQuiteNigella and told her that I made it, and we talked about other uses, I think that there will be a peanut butter and bacon sandwich in my future! Viva Las Puercos! P.S. If you want to follow me on twitter go to http://twitter.com/#!/tracehillman

Here is the link to the recipe I found, and if you read the whole blog, there is a link to another recipe that might be interesting (bacon, coffee, chocolate, ancho chiles):  http://www.notquitenigella.com/2009/10/08/bacon-jam-your-wildest-dreams-come-true/


I followed the recipe (make the jump, click the link) exactly, but I am already thinking about ideas to work in next time:

more onions and garlic
using pork belly instead of bacon (or trying to find a better bacon)
using a chili
cinnamon

Try this and let me know what you think!

Go cook something!

Cooking with Trace

No comments: